Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Poke in the "I", a Collection of Concrete Poems: Poetry Anthology


A Poke in the "I", a Collection of Concrete Poems: selected by Paul B. Janeczko and illustrated by Chris Rashchka
Publisher: Candlewick Press


Pages: 35

Genre: Poetry Anthology, comprised of concrete poems and I would also consider some to be free verse and nonsense verse

Rating: Thumbs Up and Down

This is a collection of concrete poems that range in topic from a single word to animals, flowers, jumping rope, and much more. Each poem is set in some form or shape to make the reader connect with the writing or be able to identify the subject of the writing.

I really liked the simple and creative nature of "Skipping Rope Spell" by John Agard and "Popsicle" by Joan Brunsfield Graham. In this way, I gave the collection a "Thumbs Up". However, some of the poems were simply illogical or unworthy of being called a poem. In my opinion, the worst of these was "Cat Chair" by Chris Raschka in which there is a chair with the word cat sitting in the chair. ?? I personally did not get-it and this made some of these writtings worthy of a "Thumbs Down" in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment