Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lon Po Po A Red-Riding Hood Story From China: Traditional Literature - Fairy Tale - Other Culture


Lon Po Po, A Red-Riding Hood Story From China, translated and illustrated by Ed Young
Publisher: Philomel Books

Pages: 34
Genre: Fairy Tale - Other Culture
Rating: Thumbs Up

This book is similar to the age old tale of "Little Red Riding Hood" in that it involves a wolfe, children, food and a mother. This story truely has a life of its own, though, and I felt it was more unique than similar.

The children, Shang, Tao and Paotze, are left at home alone as their mother goes to visit their grandmother Po Po who lives far away. There is an old wolf that lives near by who sees the mother leave the children. The wolf then decides to take on a disguise and the children welcome him in as their Po Po. In the end, the children are smart and outwit the wolf with a trip up the gingko tree for gingko nuts.

I rated this book as a thumbs up because I liked the illustrations and the varying version of this tale. If I had not been told to get a different perspective of a fairy tale, I probably would not have read this book. In that, I would have missed out on a version I think I like even better than our own American version.

No comments:

Post a Comment